Sunday, April 15, 2018

Hermione’s got the blues

Since I reached my goal of knitting 200 sock yarn squares for the I Love Leftovers blanket a few weeks ago, I needed a new small project for my portable knitting bag. No surprise – I started another pair of socks.IMG_5661

I grabbed this gradient yarn that I picked up at the Frederick Fiber Fest in nearby Maryland last June. It spoke to me because I’ve been wearing a lot of blue socks this winter, and there were many days when there wasn’t a clean pair in the drawer.

First, I had to decide if I wanted the light blue or the dark blue on my foot. After briefly considering knitting the second sock in the opposite direction as the first sock (I knew it would drive Barb mad), I decided to make them match … and I put the dark blue on my foot. Since I typically work socks cuff down, that meant rewinding the balls. 20180322_083744

I used the simple stitch pattern from Hermione’s Everyday Socks, which is one of my favorites for every day, too. This is the fourth time I’ve used this stitch pattern. (Kris, have you done this one yet?) I worked a basic sock: CO 64, work 2x2 rib 20 rounds, repeat stitch pattern on leg 20x, work eye of partridge heel, work rounded toe, graft at tip. 20180415_121616 crop

Here’s the result – simple, nubbly, well-fitting, and perfect for everyday wear. Also note how perfectly they match – I was wondering how close the two balls of yarn would be and they are spot on. 20180415_121425 crop

My only complaint is that the gradient could be more gradual. In the ball, the yarn appeared to move gently from light to dark. I hoped it would be as gradual as Bonnie’s Hitchhiker, but it’s not. As I knit, it appeared that the dyer used three distinct shades of blue. There is a more gradual shift from the light blue to the medium (and a little bit where they overlap), but the shift is much more abrupt as I moved to the darker blue. 20180415_121548 crop

This had me reflect on the wide range of yarns that are labelled “gradient” these days.  To me, a gradient is a colorway that shifts gradually from one color to another. The colors can be hues, tints, or shades of a single color, or they can shift gradually from color to color – but no abrupt changes! I see so many yarn cakes labelled as gradient that look like bull’s eyes of different colors. Those are NOT gradients – they are self-striping yarns with very long stripes.

Be that as it may, I am happy with these socks and look forward to wearing them next fall and winter.

In other sock news, my friend Jess has just released her first sock pattern in Ravelry – and it’s free! Crossing Cables Socks was designed to support an exhibit in a fashion archives where she worked as a graduate student, and it is inspired by a pair of socks from 1830. Take a look and be sure to download the pattern to read all the excellent notes she wrote. I’ve seen the sock in person and it’s stunning. She’ll probably add more photos when the second sock is done. If you’re looking for a fresh take on cables, this might be it.

1 comment:

  1. I do love a good gradient, and am with you on the necessity for gradual color change. Even though your yarn is a bit more distinct, I do love the socks. I've been contemplating some gradient socks and I think Hermione's socks might be the perfect pattern. Also, thanks for the Crossing Cables pattern alert. It is lovely, and I'm going to make an effort to get to the Fashions of Fiction exhibit.

    ReplyDelete