Tuesday, December 5, 2017

As the wheel turns…

I have been gazing longingly at my spinning wheel for weeks now. Our schedule has been super busy since I got home from the Spinning Summit on October 1, and I’ve just now returned to my Ladybug. IMG_3383

I grabbed this bump of Polwarth-Silk from Sheepspot (the Breed School shipment from last May – I’m behind!) and considered it. I pulled it apart to see how the colors lined up: IMG-4678

I wasn’t sure if I wanted to keep the colors clear or to blend them. I decided to blend, since I don’t do that very often and I’m trying to shake things up a bit. The yellow-green part is roughly one third of the fiber, and it is also the strongest color. What if I made a 3-ply yarn with one ply of the greenish yellow, one of gray, and one of blue? Would the two calmer colors tone down the bright one?IMG-4680 The blues and grays might overlap some. It might look sorta like this?IMG-4685

Readers, I actually sampled. I almost never do this!!! I spun those three pieces onto a single bobbin but separated them with a little bit of bright red fiber. Then I moved the singles to three storage bobbins (the red told me when to change bobbins) and made a tiny skein of 3-ply. IMG-4688

IMG-4703

I liked it well enough to keep going. I’ve found that making a little time to spin each morning before leaving for work, and each evening before going to bed, is very centering for me. In the whirl that December is, I really appreciate it. So even though I feel like I have no time to spin, I will have a new skein of handspun soon. This is my kind of self-care!

No comments:

Post a Comment